sábado, 27 de dezembro de 2014

Review: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
By Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

From goodreads:

“I’ve left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”
 
16-year-old Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on her favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. Dash, in a bad mood during the holidays, happens to be the first guy to pick up the notebook and rise to its challenges. 

What follows is a whirlwind romance as Dash and Lily trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations all across New York City. But can their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions, or will their scavenger hunt end in a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?

Co-written by Rachel Cohn (GINGERBREAD) and David Levithan, co-author of WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON with John Green (THE FAULT IN OUR STARS), DASH & LILY'S BOOK OF DARES is a love story that will have readers scouring bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own.


Review:

When I read the premise of this book I was amazed! I wanted to read it instantly! It sounded so awesome and the cover was beautiful! Obviously I downloaded the e-book immediately. It turned out not to be what I was hoping for.

This book did have a great plot. The idea of a dare, getting to know a person through words, all of that was an amazing idea but I felt like it was not fully developed because of the characters, they were just terrible!

This book is written in two POV, Dash and Lily. Dash is probably one of the worse characters I've come across. First of all he's one of the rudest person I've ever read about. He was supposed to be this sarcastic person, but there's a limit between sarcasm and rudeness and we was way over that limit. The author was probably trying to make him funny but he failed, I didn't laugh once in this book! I'm serious, it was that terrible and is not hard to make me laugh, I laugh about mostly everything. Secondly, he was always complaining about everything! Specially about Christmas. We get that he hates Christmas on the first chapter, he doesn't have to keep mentioning it all the time! But most importantly, what I really hated about this character was the way he talked and thought. The author tried to make him this intellectual 16 year old, but no one talks like him! Specially not 16 years old boys! It was ridiculous. There were times I had to get my English-Portuguese dictionary because I couldn't understand some words, do you know how annoying that is?!

Then we have Lily. I didn't think it was possible but I disliked her even more than Dash. She was the most spoiled and annoying little brat ever! She acted liked a 12 year old! I've met younger girls more mature than she was. She annoyed the hell out of me! Always complaining because she was not the center of attention. There were certain things she said and did that were typical of a 8 year old girl. I'm not exaggerating, that's exactly how I felt. She was that annoying.

Apart from the bad characters, the plot just got stupid towards the end of the book. There are certain things that happened that are just unrealistic. As I've mentioned before the premise was a great idea but the development of the actual plot was a disappointment.

All in all, this was a bad read for me. Like I've mentioned in other reviews, my opinion may differ from yours so if you're thinking about reading this book please don't let this review stop you.
What about you? Have you ever read this book? What did you think? Leave your opinion on the comment section down blow. 

Book Rate: 


Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário